Login or Create an Account
2019 Albert H. Marckwardt Travel Grants
Create a New Account
About this Award
There are four awards available annually; two for those in Master's programs and two for those in Doctoral programs.
Applications are evaluated according to your
- scholarship in university-level studies
- personal attributes for making a contribution to the field
- involvement in and commitment to ESL/EFL teaching and the profession
- financial need
To Apply Online
To complete the online application process, you will need the following information. You are strongly encouraged to gather this information before you begin the application. That way, you can fill out the application completely, and you will not have to go back and fill in items later.
Essay/Personal Statement (1,000 words)
The essay should
- Describe your scholarship in university level studies
- Describe your ESL/EFL teaching experience
- Explain your involvement in regional, national, or international ESL/EFL organizations
- Explain your career plans after you graduate
- Describe your current financial situation
This document may be an unofficial transcript from your graduate or doctoral program. The transcript should outline the courses you have completed and your performance in those courses.
One Letter of Recommendation
You will be asked to provide a contact email address for the person writing a letter of recommendation for you. The letter writer will receive a message from firstname.lastname@example.org at the address that you provide inviting them to upload the letter of recommendation directly to the application system. Letters submitted by the applicant will not be accepted.
Please ask your letter writer to watch for a message from email@example.com. To ensure that they receive the message, please ask them to add firstname.lastname@example.org to their contacts or to their spam whitelist.
If they do not receive the message, please send a message to email@example.com.
The letter of recommendation should be written by a faculty member familiar with your program. The letter should specify
- your personal attributes
- your scholarship
- your course of study
Applications must be received by 1 November.